Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions about Travel Protection Plans:
Please note that a final claims determination is made based upon the plan provisions, and the written documentation we receive with your claim submission
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What happens if I must cancel my trip?
If you cancel your trip for a listed covered reason in the plan document, reimbursement up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits is for unused non-refundable hotel arrangements booked by HBC Event Services as well as registration fees.
Remember, when your payment for this Plan is received within 20 days of your initial payment or deposit for your trip, you also qualify for the Cancel For Any Reason Benefit that allows you to cancel your travel arrangements up to two (2) days before your scheduled departure for ANY REASON. Under the Cancel for Any Reason Benefit you will receive reimbursement of 75% of Trip Cost for your unused non-refundable prepaid payments or deposits paid for travel arrangements including registration fees.
For complete details of the Cancel for Any Reason Benefit, see Plan Documents.
2. If I must interrupt my trip and return home early, what expenses are covered?
If you interrupt your trip for a covered reason, the following benefits are reimbursable:
1) reimbursement for unused hotel arrangements booked by HBC Event Services as well as registration fees and additional economy airfare;
2) Prepaid hotel cancellation expenses and return air expenses incurred by you, up to 125% of the amount insured if your sporting competition is rescheduled or cancelled due to weather.
3) If you interrupt your trip after 48 hours of departure, for any reason that is not covered, you will receive reimbursement of 75% of the Trip Cost up to $500 for unused non-refundable hotel expenses, and registration fees.
Please Note: Interruption For Any Reason (IFAR) is not available in the following states: AK, IN, KS, MT, NH, WA, and NY
3. What happens if my flight is delayed or canceled?
The Travel Protection Plan protects you in several ways. If your flight is delayed 12 hours or more, you can take a later flight and you will be reimbursed up to a maximum of $600 for your Additional Transportation Cost to join your Trip and for the cost of any unused land or water Travel Arrangements.
Return To The Question Index
4. What are Pre-Existing Conditions and can a Pre-Existing Condition be covered by the HBC Event Services Travel Protection Plan?
A Pre-Existing Condition means: an illness, disease, or other condition during the 60 day period immediately prior to the date Your coverage is effective for which You or Your Traveling Companion, Business Partner or Family Member scheduled or booked to travel with You: (1) received or received a recommendation for a test, examination, or medical treatment for a condition which first manifested itself, worsened or became acute or had symptoms which would have prompted a reasonable person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; or (2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.
Item #2 of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60 day period before coverage is effective under this Plan.
IMPORTANT! - The Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion is waived if Your payment for this Plan is received within 20 days of the date Your initial Payment or Deposit for Your Trip is received, provided you are not disabled from travel at the time your plan payment is received.
5. What can I do if I lose my passport or visa close to the departure date of my Trip?
Fortunately, passports and visas can often be replaced in a very short period of time. Sometimes as quickly as 24 hours. There are a number of passport service agencies who can provide this expedited service for you. Click here for a passport service agency.
6. What if bad weather is predicted where I plan to travel? Will the HBC Event Services Travel Protection Plan cover me if I cancel my Trip?
The Travel Protection Plan does not provide coverage if you cancel your Trip based upon what may or may not happen.
Remember, when Your payment for this Plan is received within 20 days of Your initial Payment or Deposit for Your Trip, you also qualify for the Cancel For Any Reason Benefit that allows you to cancel your travel arrangements up to two (2) days before your scheduled departure for ANY REASON. For complete details of the Cancel For Any Reason Benefit, see Plan Documents.
The Cancel For Any Reason Benefit does not cover: 1) penalties associated with any air or other travel arrangements not provided by HBC Event Services; or 2) the failure of HBC Event Services to provide the bargained-for Travel Arrangements due to cessation of operations for any reason.
7. What happens if my bags do not arrive at my destination when I do? What do I do?
The Travel Protection Plan covers all baggage delays of 24 hours or more during your Trip. You will be reimbursed up to $400 for personal articles you buy (such as toiletries, a change of clothing, etc.). Be sure to keep receipts for anything you purchase.
Your delayed or lost baggage will be tracked for up to one full year, if requested.
8. If I require medical care while on my Trip, are my medical bills covered?
The Travel Protection Plan covers medical expenses resulting from an illness or injury during your Trip. If you must be medically evacuated to another facility or home, these costs are covered as well.
The Travel Protection Plan includes a 24-hour worldwide assistance service to help you with medical or legal emergencies during your Trip.
9. Does the HBC Event Services Travel Protection Plan cover my frequent flyer miles?
Frequent flyer miles are not covered if you must cancel or interrupt your Trip. If you cancel your Trip for a covered reason, you will only be reimbursed the money actually paid for the Trip.
10. How do I file a claim?
If you have a specific question about the HBC Event Services Travel Protection Plan, please contact Trip Mate.
These Frequently Asked Questions only provide a general summary. Please refer to the actual Plan Document for the specific terms and conditions of the specific Plan issued to you as eligibility for coverage varies based upon the specific Plan terms, conditions and limitations, and may vary by state or may not be available in all states.